1. This war forever and permanently changed America. This conflict is a reference point, a turning point in our culture, in politics, and in our history.
2. Many of the issues of the war are still relevant and interesting to thinking people and to politics.
3. I have a specifically targeted and huge audience. Avid Civil War readers have several things in common. They tend to be literate, well-read, they enjoy learning new facts, they love hearing facts and stories they already know if they are told from an interesting and unique perspective, and most important of all for a writer—they buy tons of books.
4. I know I will personally grow from writing about the Civil War.
5. I believe that my reading audience will grow as a result of your research, insights, and prose. Writers do shape society. Think of how Stephen King and other writers have influenced our ideas of horrors. Strong writers today are shaping the consciousness of the Civil War too.
6. This is an opportune time. Never, at least since the generation of actual combatants, have we had such rich and thorough resources.
Book Signings and News
Today, I’m on my way to the Shreveport, Louisiana Sam’s Club for a signing. After I finish there, I have various contacts to meet with and queries to make. After today’s signing, I’ll only have one more Sam’s Club left–in Monroe, next Saturday, Dec. 22.