Facts About Willie Nelson:
Here are some interesting facts I gleaned about Willie Nelson from Cowboys & Indians Magazine, Sept. 2008. The article is written by Willie’s biographer, Joe Nick Patoski. (I hope to own Patoski’s book about Willie someday) There are several great photos of Willie in this issue. Speaking of that: I’ve got a signed photo of Willie somewhere. There are several books written by and about him. I remember watching Willie every Saturday night in Dallas on the Porter Wagoner show. I also remember many people not liking him or his singing. Boy, has that perspective changed! There’s no shortage of Willie information on the Webb, but I found these points interesting.
1. Willie’s still on the road at 75. (I hope I can do that well!)
2. He is an actor, author, songwriter, former disc jockey.
3. He is an active supporter of American Indian and American farmer, animal, and rancher causes.
4. He sometimes lives in a tipi.
5. He plays a 30-year-old Martin nylon stringed, beat-up guitar that he calls Trigger. You can read more about the history of Martin guitars here:
6. The first Willie Nelson song I learned to play was “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain.” I do several of Willie’s songs in my Americana show.
ULM Tailgate Party , Nov. 1
Here I am at the ULM Chili Cook-off. I performed as Chili-Nelson.
Here is the whole Chili-Nelson Crew! We didn’t win the competition, but we should have!