Here’s a list of words I stress when teaching my college students. It should be obvious that many journalists, businesses, artists and employees also need them.
Important Words for My College Students
1. discipline – training, instruction, or correction that develops self-control, character or efficiency.
2. objectivity – not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering, discussing, or representing facts.
3. ethics – moral principles that govern a person’s behavior or the conducting of an activity.
4. work ethic – belief that hard work is intrinsically virtuous or worthy of reward. A person with strong work ethics is driven to do one’s best, to be reliable, to be honest and fair with one’s employer and the society her or she serves.
5. integrity – doing the right thing in a reliable way, being honest and fair.
6. research – the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions.
7. sacred cow – an idea, custom, or institution held, especially unreasonably, to be above criticism. College should be the place where sacred cows come to die.
8. schedule – a plan for carrying out a process or procedure, giving lists of intended events and times.
9. serendipity – the unexpected discovery.
10. epiphany – A lightbulb moment, a sudden understanding or insight.